Biathlon Student-Athlete Scholarship Information - 2022/2023 Season
Paul Smith’s College and US Biathlon have partnered to create an opportunity for experienced youth and junior biathletes to continue to pursue biathlon while attending college. Several scholarships will be awarded to selected biathletes to enroll as full-time students at Paul Smith’s College. These athletes will receive weekly training & coaching support beginning as early as Summer 2022 through May 2023.
Paul Smith’s College is a small college with award-winning programs nestled in the heart of the Great Adirondack wilderness. A biathlon student-athlete program perfectly complements the school’s outdoor ethic and connection to endurance and winter Olympic sports, while providing
U.S. Biathlon with an educational home-base for committed student-athletes. The campus is a 40-minute drive from Lake Placid, NY.
Below you will find information on how to take part in this great opportunity. If you have any questions about this program, please reach out to Tim Burke at email@example.com.
Training support for athletes attending Paul Smith’s College will be made up of a combination of coaching support from US Biathlon and New York Educational Ski Foundation (NYSEF):
● Athletes that have qualified for the 2022/2023 U.S. Biathlon Junior National Team will work directly with U.S. Biathlon for training coordination & support
● Other athletes: Those not qualifying for a National Team will work more closely with NYSEF. When appropriate (and depending on the size of the program), there will be crossover between these two programs. NYSEF will charge a program fee for this service.
Paul Smiths has recently completed a major upgrade to its trail system, which is located right next to campus. Along with the trail upgrades, Paul Smiths also purchased a piston bully for grooming and they will be installing a shooting range this summer. With these upgrades, students will have great training opportunities right at campus!
Those attending Paul Smith’s College should expect to complete about half of their training sessions in Paul Smiths and the other half in Lake Placid.
US Biathlon has a limited number of scholarships to use at their discretion. Athletes interested in attending Paul Smith’s College and obtaining a scholarship will need to apply directly with US Biathlon.
Important points regarding scholarships:
● Scholarships will be awarded on a yearly basis.
● Scholarships are not guaranteed for more than one year at a time.
● Scholarships will be awarded based on biathlon performance.
● Athletes must remain in good academic standing with PSC to keep their scholarship.
● Athletes must show commitment to biathlon by attending events such as YJWCH Trials, Nationals, NorAms and regional races when appropriate.
A scholarship is not required to take part in this program! Alternatively, you may enroll at Paul Smith’s College as a student-athlete and elect to take part in our elite training program
Biathletes interested in applying for a scholarship need to:
1. Apply directly with U.S. Biathlon by sending an email to Tim Burke (firstname.lastname@example.org) answering the following questions:
● What are your short and long term goals in biathlon?
● How will attending Paul Smith’s College help you achieve those goals?
● Why is Paul Smith’s College a good fit for you academically?
● How will you balance your class schedule with a full-time training program?
Applications will be reviewed by the USBA High Performance Director, USBA Director of Athlete Development and an athlete representative.
2. Begin the student enrollment process at Paul Smith’s College. To get started with this,
you will need to contact Matt Dougherty at m email@example.com.
Additional information about Paul Smith’s College program offerings can be found at h ttps://www.paulsmiths.edu/.